Saturday, January 29, 2011

Saturday, January 29, 2011


I am amazed by the word “friend”.. It means so many different things to so many different people, but to me, the most important thing about the word friend is be one…. To have a friend you need to be a friend.

I am totally and utterly amazed by the friendships you make on the internet without even knowing the person. This really shouldn’t come as a surprise to me, yet it does.. The reason I say that is that I met my first husband that way. Not on the internet, but through writing letters. I was just out of high school and 17, working at a real job (being a waitress in a pizza parlor really didn’t count). So, I was working and was seeing someone that I went to school with, who happened to be a cop. Long story short we broke up and this woman I worked with wanted me to write to her son who was in the Marines. Don’t forget, we are talking about the Viet Nam era…. I said I wouldn’t know what to say and she said she would have him write first. As so it began. Letters from Okinawa, cards, and much much more. No internet then. Just letters. No phone cards, just letters and cards. He would draw me maps from his parents home to mine and the underlying current was marriage. We already said the “L” word to each other. Again, to make a long story short (because he really isn’t worth my time to think about) he came home Christmas Eve day in 1971, we were engaged in March and we were married in August of 1972. We felt like we knew each other so well. Oh….did I leave out that I knew his entire family, had been to their home, and still hadn’t met him…. His mom loved me, but that sure changed after a while… HA HA…As much as I never disrespected her to her face, the feeling was mutual…She was the typical mother in law from hell, and his whole family turned out that way too…well almost all, but that’s for another time….. So like I said you really do grow close to someone you have never met. That brings me back to the topic of friend because I have met some wonderful “friends” on here. Both from recipe groups, Care2, causes, cancer support groups, and the ever present face book. Never did My Space. I couldn’t remember my password. HA HA….

You don’t need to be in the same place, the same part of the world even. You just need to be in the same place in your heart….. That’s what it all boils down to. Friends of the heart… And so, to all my friends I want to say thank you for allowing me be part of your world. And to my late hubby Don, I want to say I love you still with all my heart and soul. You were my by far my bestest friend in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment