Friday, April 13, 2012

Friday the 13th and Mr. Stone - Friday April 13, 2012

I know it's been ages and eons since I last posted on my blog.  Sorry for those of you that look forward to it.
I've been going through some medical issues and well... let's face it, that's just an excuse.
So, today is Friday the 13th.  This always reminds me of my old boss.  He was the BEST boss in the world.  I worked for him for 5 years and would still be there, but he sold it as he was getting up there in age.  This was in 1985.  His name was Mr. Stone.  Albert Stone.  The reason this Friday the 13th is tied to him is that he once told me he was born on a Friday the 13th and he has been the luckiest person since the day he was born.  He said how many people can go from a horse and buggy to a man on the moon.  And he was right.  His wife was just as nice as he was.
I was a receptionist/property manager for the real estate office.  I did property management on the homes we rented out (approximately 160) and did contracts, etc. 
When we moved to Florida I got a job at a hospital as a financial counselor.  Little did I realize how far it was from where I lived.  When we moved here, we had a dog and bird.  The dog came in the car ride to Florida and the bird flew on American Airlines.  (Should have just put our address on his leg and let him fly here himself. While waiting for his flight I picked up a newspaper and called about a job posting.  I went for an interview that day and was hired. Too far to travel, so I quit. I then got a job in the library but that only lasted a few weeks.  It was way to quiet for me....  I love libraries and reading, but this was really quiet.  Not to mention that I was married and the head librarian (male) kept hitting on me.  So, I quit. Then I applied at the real estate.  Well, apply isn't really the right word.  I went in for an interview, no resume, no application, just a one on one meeting and was hired. At the onset he told me that no matter what, my family comes first.  Never worry about calling in sick is one of them is ill.  I thought he was kidding, but he was dead serious.  I can remember another time that I called in well.  He asked me what?  I said I don't want to lie to you.  I want to go to the beach with some friends that had been visiting.  He asked a few questions about keys for some houses, and told me he would see me the next day. 
Then there was the time it was someones birthday and he always had a catered lunch for birthdays in the conference room.  To make a long story short, afterwards I went back to my desk and started typing.  He told me to sit on the couch and relax.  I did way more than that.  I feel asleep.  I woke up almost 2 hours later so embarrassed.  I asked him why no one woke me up and he said I was talking in my sleep and they were waiting to see what I would say.  ha ha...
Then there was the time I quit.  There was an agent that I really liked and he left to go to another real estate firm.  He begged me to go with him.  More money, blah blah blah.  I went in and talked to Mr. Stone about it and he said "The grass isn't always greener on the other side", but he wasn't going to hold me back, and wasn't going to advertise my job for a month. They had this gigantic going away party for me and I felt so bad.  I left on a Friday, started work at the new real estate office on Monday, and called Mr. Stone on Thursday.  He asked if I wanted to come back and I said yes. He said he would see me on Monday and I asked if I could start back the following week.  I needed a vacation.  He said that would be fine.
When I was going through my divorce he was there for me every step of the way.  He helped me buy a car, let me go in the back when I had to cry (which was very often),  He tried to buy out my ex on the property we had bought, and was like a grandfather to me.  He has been gone a long time, but I often think of him and miss him and his wife.  They were such good people. 
On another note- whoever took the last cup of coffee made the next pot.  Well, I broke 3 coffee pots.  He told me to do him a favor and never make coffee again.  ha ha..  He is also the one who told me "Honey, if you didn't have bad luck you wouldn't have any luck at all".
Friday the 13th has always been a good day for me thanks to a man named Mr. Albert Stone.  RIP
Until next time

4 comments:

  1. Mr. Stone could have given courses for how to be a great boss!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a brilliant read Denise, and funny. Loved the bit about putting your address on the birds leg and letting him fly hahahahaha!

    Mr Stone sounds like he was a wonderful friend and boss, he was obviously very happy to have you in his life as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went to the pub with hubby on Saturday night, there was a horse called Mr Stone! I put a bet on that horse and he came second :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your right Amy, he was one in a million. And thanks Nicole. How ironic is it that there was a horse with that name. Congratulations on our, I mean your win. ha ha...

    ReplyDelete